The imec Press for More Award aims to encourage more and better journalism. Therefore, it honors initiatives in Europe that reflect an entrepreneurial and innovative way of bringing news closer to citizens, or that engage in or enable novel forms of journalistic practice.
The laureate will be awarded a € 5,000 encouragement prize to further develop the initiative or to explore new paths to improve journalism.
- conduct investigative journalism (reporting, storytelling, …)
- create journalism networks through digital platforms, technologies, …
- encourage citizen interaction offering tools, products, ICT solutions, …
- explore & implement new business models and services
Who can apply?
The imec Press for More Award explicitly wants to encourage and promote novel initiatives with realized impact and great potential:
- They have impact and/or roots in Europe - The laureate has to be a resident of an EU member state or has to be an institution or project that originates in the European Union.
- The impact can be demonstrated (i.e. it is beyond the proof of concept phase, it is actually being deployed or is currently used, albeit possibly on a smaller scale),
- The potential of the initiative should be worthy of further encouragement, proving
- it currently has a significant impact (i.e. which can be felt today)
- it is growing and has significant growth potential.
An international jury is set up and will take full account of a number of delicate equilibria.
Publishers, journalists, broadcasting organizations, new online media, policy makers and research institutions working on novel journalism projects are all involved.
The partner organizations who will be part of the jury will be announced soon.
Process & Timing
- 10 March: Submission deadline
- 24 March: Winner is informed
- 3 May: Award ceremony as part of Difference Day
After the submission deadline, a longlist of candidates will be composed based on the admission criteria. From this longlist, a group of experts within imec will select 10 candidates to be shortlisted.
After deliberation of the shortlisted candidates, the jury will select one final laureate of the imec Press for More Award.
Download the full Award and Procedure description
Every submission must be completed with a short dossier containing:
- contact details of the candidate or team
- description of the project and its potential
- current impact of the project
- motivation why the project deserves the prize
- supporting documents
About the Award
For the 2nd year, the Press for More Award is granted as part of Difference Day (May 3, Brussels).
Established in 2015 by iMinds, in partnership with VUB, ULB, EHB, Evens Foundation & BOZAR, the Press for More Award initiative is now hosted by imec following the 2016 merger of both organizations into one high-tech research and innovation hub for nanoelectronics and digital technologies.
The inaugural edition received 29 submissions from 15 different European countries. The 2015 laureate was Obviz, a content platform that applies innovative language processing algorithms to empower readers to better assess the pros & cons of various controversies.